Samizdat
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
  Iraq – A Foreign Policy Misadventure?
X
For days now, I have been stewing over John Kerry’s latest Iraqi “exit strategy” and I think this stew has simmered long enough.

I tried to like John Kerry. I really did but somewhere deep in my stomach; listening to him during the campaign made me just slightly nauseous. Kerry was obviously more intelligent than Bush, better informed, and a better speaker. However, at the end of every speech, it seemed that he disagreed with Bush but not necessarily with Bush’s policies, especially those regarding Iraq. Finally, I voted for Kerry – because he wasn’t Bush.

Now, he’s trying to serve up leftovers from last year’s campaign disguised as a new exit strategy. He wants to pull out gradually over 12 to 18 months – with the caveat that we would have to stay longer if “necessary.”

Well John, old buddy, I didn’t like that dish the first time you passed it around. Keeping it in the refrigerator for a year didn’t improve its appearance or its odor. Furthermore, referring to the U.S. war of aggression in Iraq as “a foreign policy misadventure” gives me more than indigestion. Frankly, it makes me want to regurgitate.

Do you, Mr. Kerry, want to explain to Cindy Sheehan and the other two thousand Gold Star families that Iraq was “a foreign policy misadventure?” Explain to the 15,000 severely wounded American service men about this “foreign policy misadventure.” Tell the 100,000 families of the dead in Iraq, “Oh, we’re sorry. This was just a little foreign policy misadventure.”

This was not a frigging foreign policy misadventure. This was and is a war crime and a conspiracy on a massive scale. In the words of General Anthony Zinni, the Bush administration “cooked the books.” There were no WMDs in Iraq. There were no Al Qaeda connections. There were no 9/11 connections. There were no Osama bin Laden ties. These facts were all known by the U.S., Israeli, and British intelligence long before this little “misadventure” began.

If there is any Democrat (or Republican) in Washington D.C. with any gonads at all who voted in any way for this war, it is time they stand up, admit the war is illegal and immoral, apologize for being duped into voting for it, then insisting loud and clear that we get out of Iraq NOW! Then, we should begin the war crimes tribunal.

That, Mr. Kerry, is an exit strategy I could swallow.
 
Comments:
Well, I agree cute little euphemisms like "foreign policy misadventure" don't do justice to our gory reality. But, as you point out, Kerry is sharp--he realizes that running away from a disaster you've caused isn't necessarily the best way of accepting responsibility. Yes, U.S. troops are dying and being wounded, and it's horrible, but if we impulsively pull-out, without getting a government firmly in place, there's going to be rampant civil war, and probably far more Iraqis will die from internecine strife than U.S. soldiers are now. I think the "get out now" slogan is completely irresponsible.
 
I certainly appreciate you dropping by. Thanks for the comment. While I don't completely disagree with you, I can't agree with you either. A lot of Iraqis are dying right now. The longer we occupy the country, the more the violence increases.

This is not just a random observation or my opinion. It can be demonstrated statistically. From a numbers point of view, this is how the Viet Nam war started out but this time the curve is accelerating a bit faster. After twelve years, 58,000 dead Americans and over 1,000,000 dead Viet Namese, we pulled out.

If we had any right at all to be in Iraq, I might agree with you fully - but we don't. Yes, Saddam was a tyrant and a murderer but so are a lot of rulers in the world that we actively support, and don't forget, we put him in power in the first place and that gas he used on his own people - we gave it to him.

It would be different if the Iraqi people had cried out to us for liberty - but they didn't. Even now, they are not willing to fight to unite or protect their country. In my experience, I have found that people who aren't willing to pay for something will not value it if you give it to them.

As the saying goes, "Freedom is not free." On the other hand, why should we pick up the tab for something they don't value enough to spill a little blood for?

I don't know. Right now, I am just sick and tired of this whole damned mess. I am sick of a country that purports to be "free" when it has a long history of suppression, not just of other people, but of its own citizens.

Did you know the first Sedation Act was passed in 1798 making it illegal to critisize the government? Of course, we've always had slaves, indentured servants, share-croppers, Jim Crow laws and even now we have a minimum wage that makes slavery look like it might have been a pretty good deal.

I could go on and on but I'm going to shut up for now. Again, thanks for dropping by.
 
No no no, Gar is correct, Fabian is buying the repuke point. I'm sorry for the Iraqis, but I want our troops out of there yesterday. I don't want another American troop to die so our war criminal moron can feel he's a war president. The son of a bitch belongs in a penitentiary. That whole crowd makes me vomit.
 
Thanks Don. I appreciate the comment and support. Drop by Fabian's site. It is certainly a change from the usual political sites I visit. I think he should of been an English professor. Maybe he is.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Samizdat: an underground system for the circulation of forbidden works of literature and political criticism in the Soviet era of Russia.

Name:
Location: Arkansas, United States

Angry, angry, angry ... but still, any day above ground is a good day.